Cypress Mountains fully automated Snowmaking system was installed in preparation for hosting the Snowboarding and Freestyle Skiing competitions of the 2010 Olympic Games. The system was designed to take advantage of very high productivity during any windows of low temperature and humidity with state-of-the-art automatic controls and temperature sensors.
- Summer 2018 - We implemented Phase 5 of our improvements with a new line up Lower Horizon run for the 2018.19 Season.
- Summer 2017 - Cypress Mountain began a snowmaking expansion project for the 2017.18 Winter season. The "phase 4" expansion project has brought snowmaking right up to the top of Collins ski run (top of the Lions Express chairlift). This newest investment will include 5 new snow guns and 18 new hydrant locations.
- In 2015 Cypress Mountain expanded our Snowmaking coverage. This expansion includes almost 6.5 km of high pressure piping, 6.5 km of high voltage electrical cable and 20 new hydrants placed at important locations for slope snow maintenance.
All these improvements were undertaken to allow us to open our most popular terrain in the early season and provide the best snow conditions possible every day of the Ski and Snowboarding season. Our coverage now extends over most of the terrain on the north face of Black Mountain including all our Terrain Park locations, Collins Run top to bottom off the Lions Express chairlift, and full snowmaking coverage on Easy Rider Quad. Our Snowmaking capabilities provide a big boost for early season opening and an ability to refresh or maintain our main ski runs during the season. As well, the Easy Rider Quad coverage provides a great opportunity to introduce Snow School lessons to our Guests as early as possible to get a great start to the Season. The experienced and highly skilled Cypress Mountain Snowmaking Crew, whom we acclaim to be the "Best in the Business", work non-stop around the clock during stretches of snowmaking temperatures to keep close tabs on the quality and location of the snow production. They monitor winds and temperature patterns to make adjustments to produce the most quality snow possible under any circumstances. Our fleet of Super PoleCat Snowguns with 25 hp Fans (double the normal capability) is now increased to 47 Guns and they are unmatched in their capacity to convert clean cold mountain water to snowflake crystals. It takes 605,665 litres of water to cover one acre with one flat foot of snow.
Our System Consists Of:
20 Super PoleCat Tower Guns (fully automated with onboard weather stations and hydrant actuators)
25 Super PoleCat Carriage Guns (fully automated with onboard weather stations and hydrant actuators)
2 PoleKid Carriage Guns (manually controlled for an extra boost where needed)
- The pumping system delivers water to hydrants down the side of all our serviced ski runs
- 4 Booster Pumps with capacity of 11,356 LPM @720psi
- Pipeline system to distribute water to hydrants
- Hydrants to reduce the pressure from the pipeline to one which develops the required flow at the gun nozzle
- Nozzles are a series of orifices allowing water to be atomized and discharged to the atmosphere
- Guns are located in priority area for maximum production and snow quality
The 78 hydrant locations that we now have installed, provide excellent coverage from our 25,000,000 litre Reservoir. Our Max Snowmaking capacity is 11,356 LPM (Litres Per Minute) with total coverage of 27 Ha. Cypress Mountain will continue to make plans to improve the Snowmaking System in the future in order to provide the premium man-made snow that has become one of our mainstays.